Capital Project Updates
Fundraising for matching grants:
- Alhamdulillah MIA has recently been awarded several Capital Project grants.
- In order to access the funds we must match the funds by March 31st, 2018.
- Currently MIA needs $95,000 to match the grants received or we will forfeit the grants.
- Contact the MIA office (email@example.com) for details regarding name dedication for the capital projects.
Alhamduliallh with the support and contributions of our generous community members, the MIA has started the process for a few capital projects after approval at the AGM.
1. Multi purpose playing field: The MIA has received federal, provincial and city grants for this project. Last year we hired a land development firm to design the field and apply for city permits. However, we discovered that the City is in the initial stages of preparing a Secondary Plan By-law for the Waverley West Neighbourhood ‘B’ Area and until the city finalizes that (expected early Spring 2019) with all the stakeholders in the area, they will not entertain any development permit application for the area. Alhamdulillah we were able to reassign some of the grants, so we do not lose the money.
2. Washroom/Wudu Area: The funds reallocated from the soccer field are being used for washroom renovations including a wudu area, starting with the brothers side. This project is scheduled to start within the next few weeks. The total cost of the project is estimated at $110,000 and we have so far collected $76,000 including re allocated grants.
3. Security Upgrade: This project is to install outside cameras and light standards to increase the overall security of the masjids. The total cost of the project is estimated at $150,000 and we have so far collected $77,000 including grants from the federal government.
4. Masaajid: Alhamdulillah MIA has three facilities to upgrade and maintain (Waverley, Pioneer and Winkler). For the year 2018 we allocate $3000,000 for these facilities.
5. Body Washing Facility: This project is currently in the design stage. Alhamdulillah thanks to our volunteers and their tireless efforts, the Breakfast on Feb 4, 2018 collected $10,700 and MIA now has a total of $170,000 fundraised and $70,000 committed for a total project cost of approx. $380,010.