“Zakah is for the poor and for the needy, and for those employed to collect [zakah] and for bringing hearts together, and for freeing captives, and for those in debt and for the cause of Allah and for the traveler – an obligation by Allah . And Allah is Knowing and Wise.”
– Surah Al Tawbah, verse 60.
C harity is an important tenant of the Islamic faith. It is an obligation on financially capable Muslims to assist the poor and contribute to the alleviation of poverty.
The MIA facilitates for members of the Muslim community the fulfillment of their Zakat and charitable obligations through the Takaful (social solidarity) program. We collect Zakat (obligatory charity), Fitra (Ramadan charity), Kaffarah (expiation), Nathr (oaths and pledges) and general Sadaqah (charity) and distribute them to local needy Muslims and beyond. The committee can also assist donors in the distribution of sacrificial meat (qurbani/udhiya, aqiqah, etc.).
Those seeking financial assistance must submit a confidential application and a detailed letter describing their circumstances. The Takaful committee reviews all applications and decides on the appropriate level of assistance. The committee review process is confidential and is independent of the MIA administration. The review process may take up to 3 weeks. The Takaful committee also assists recipients with financial planning and management of their financial resources.
Required Accompanying Documents
To all applicants:
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requests all supporting documents including social insurance numbers in order to issue T4A. The assistance you may receive will be reported to CRA as an income.
There will be no assistance to anyone if the application is missing any of the documents below. If you wish your case to be assessed please send them by mail/email/in-person at the MIA office. If one of the documents is missing you will need to provide a thorough explanation and provide verification.
The following documents are required:
- New Takaful Assistance Application Form clearly filled out and fully completed
- Copy of the applicant’s health Card
- Copy of a photo ID
- Copy of source of income for all households (Social assistance document, pay stubs, etc.)
- Copy of document showing amount of Child Tax Benefit
- Three months’ bank statements – please provide for ALL bank accounts everyone in the household has
- Copy of Rental/lease agreement
- All claimed bills (Hydro, Water, Phone, etc.). Otherwise we will assume they are not part of the monthly expenses
- Copy of Social Insurance Number
- Any supporting documents relevant to the request
Please do not attach original documents as they will not be returned.