MIA Looking To Hire Imam For Ramadan
The Manitoba Islamic Association (MIA) has served Manitobans and the Muslim community in Manitoba for nearly 50 years. In Winnipeg, the MIA currently operates Pioneer Mosque, the first mosque ever established in Manitoba and a large mosque and community centre (Grand Mosque). The MIA also operates a musallah for the growing Muslim community in and around the city of Winkler. There are an estimated 20,000 Muslims in Manitoba, most of whom live in Winnipeg. The community is ethnically and culturally diverse and MIA seeks to cultivate this diversity and strengthen it.
The Manitoba Islamic Association is seeking applications from interested individuals for a visiting Imam position during the month of Ramadan 1439/2018. The successful candidate will spend the month of Ramadan with the Muslim community in Manitoba and be a religious and spiritual resource for the community. They will support the provision of the following programs and services, including:
Job term: 1 month (Ramadan) option to be extended
- Co-leading Taraweeh prayers and visiting several of the city’s mosques.
- Along with MIA representatives, carrying out outreach visits to smaller Muslim communities in cities and towns outside of Winnipeg (2 such visits expected in
- Deliver spiritual reminders on weekends during Taraweeh.
- Deliver khutba every Friday of Ramadan, at different locations.
- Plan and deliver two weekend educational programs.
- Participate in planning and implementing qiyam programs in the last 10 nights.
- Participate in MIA’s Ramadan fundraising drive.
- The successful candidate will have trained in the Islamic sciences with a good understanding of fiqh and theology with a flexible approach which builds on the diversity within the various Islamic schools of thought.
- They will have training in proper Quran recitation plus memorization of large parts of the Quran.
- They should be fluent in the English language and possess strong familiarity with Canadian/North American culture, public ethics, history and current affairs.
- A good command of Arabic is a plus.
- The successful candidate will receive a generous honorarium plus room and board for the duration of the month of Ramadan. It is expected that they will spend 20 hours/week on MIA related work and are free to pursue other activities in the remainder of their time.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada. ______________________________________________________________________
Please submit your resume with a cover page to MIA office manager: firstname.lastname@example.org Submission deadline: April 13th, 2018 at 3:00 pm
Note: Only individuals who meet the requirements will be called for an interview.