Board of Directors General Elections – Call for Nominations
Dear MIA Members,
The Election and Compliance Commission (ECC) of the MIA would like to inform you that the General Elections of the MIA Board of Directors will be held on Sunday, December 1st, 2019 between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM at the Winnipeg Grand Mosque (2445 Waverley St.).
According to the MIA Constitution and By Laws, ratified in October 20, 2019 (MIA By-Laws Part VII – Transition); the 2017-2019 members of the Executive Council shall continue in their roles until the end of their term. At such time, members of the Board of Directors will be elected according to the provisions of this constitution and by-laws and the following provisions:
- Three members will be elected for a one-year term
- Three members will be elected for a two-year term
- Three members will be elected for a three-year term
The Election and Compliance Commission (ECC) will be fully in charge of the election process. Here are some important details:
- Nominations for all nine (9) Board of Directors positions will be opened on Friday, October 25th, 2019.
- Nominations will be closed on Sunday, November 10th, 2019 at 4:00 pm.
- All nominees must be full members in good standing as of April 1st, 2019 (MIA By-Law, Part III, Section 4.2).
- To nominate a member for a position, the nominator and the seconder must be full members in good standing as of August 1st, 2019. The nominator, the seconder, and the nominee must complete the Nomination Form and submit a signed scanned copy to email@example.com. The ECC will acknowledge receiving the nomination forms by email within 24 hrs.
- The ECC will review the received nomination forms after closing nomination and until Friday, November 15th, 2019. During that review period, applicants shall be available over the phone, by emails, and/or in-person to provide any additional information deemed necessary by the ECC
- The final list of eligible candidates meeting all the stipulated requirements will be announced by Saturday, November 16th, 2019.
- Candidates cannot withdraw from the elections after November 22nd, 2019.
- On Sunday, December 1st, 2019 voting will take place at the Grand Mosque Main Entrance between 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Volunteers will be available to facilitate voting.
- To vote in this election, a person has to be a full MIA member in good standing as of August 1st, 2019 (MIA By-Law, Part III, Section 4.2).
- The list of members eligible to run for election, and list of members eligible to vote are currently posted in the Pioneer Mosque (247 Hazelwood Ave.) and the Grand Mosque (2445 Waverly St.) bulletin boards.
- On the voting day, the candidates or their representatives will be allowed to witness the entire voting process and the ballots counting. However, it will not be allowed to campaign, influence the decision of the voters, or communicate with anyone in the voting zone. The voting zone will be defined by ECC at that day.
- The results of the Board of Directors elections will be announced on the same day of the elections and as soon as the ballots are counted. The elected Board of Directors positions will be in charge effective January 1st, 2020 till the end of the term of each position.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Election and Compliance Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org
Election and Compliance Commission (ECC)