Position: Managing Director
Founded in 1969, the Manitoba Islamic Association operates the historic Pioneer Mosque in St. Vital, the Grand Mosque and Community Centre in west-Waverley, the newly acquired MIA Connections centre in downtown Winnipeg and has a satellite mosque in Winkler.
MIA is a membership-based organization with an elected board of directors. It serves Manitobans by offering a variety of educational, spiritual, and social programs. MIA operates mosques for the benefit of the Muslim community, offers educational programs for all ages, support seniors, collects and distributes Zakat, and organizes events and functions for the community. MIA also is actively involved in alleviation of poverty through its Zakat fund. MIA will soon offer full funeral services out of its new funeral home located inside the Grand Mosque complex.
The MIA values diversity and enjoys excellent relationships with other Muslim and non-Muslim lead organizations and has active outreach efforts with media, government, other religious groups, and the non-profit and charitable sector in general. MIA is a registered Canadian charity.
The MIA is seeking a highly motivated individual to provide administrative and organizational leadership. The position will be responsible for overall operations of the organization, financial management, staff management, facility management and the management of religious, social, cultural and educational activities and programs.
- Oversee the operation of the organization.
- Maintain a positive and safe work environment and encourage a work culture committed to the values of Islam.
- Provide supervision and guidance to the staff, and act as a liaison between staff and the board of directors.
- Foster team-work between the board of directors, staff (including religious officers-imams), and volunteers.
- Support the establishment of volunteer committees and the selection of competent and committed volunteers.
- Provide leadership to the programs offered by MIA, ensuring quality programs that meet the needs and expectations of the community.
- With input from the board of directors, develop an annual financial plan and accurate budget.
- Coordinate fundraising and revenue generation efforts, including developing foundation and grant proposals, securing donations and sponsorship, fundraising events, and donor recognition. Implement a donor management system and build a culture of donor stewardship.
- Ensure that standard bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Ensure non-profit and CRA regulations are met.
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Provide the Board with regular and accurate reports on the finances of the organization, programs, projects, and staffing. Implement board plans and directives for the overall direction of the organization.
- Develop operational plans that work towards the strategic direction of the organization.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services.
- Ensure that the organization’s operation meets the expectations of the Board, donors, funders and community members.
- Work with the board to review existing and develop new policies and procedures.
- Support the board by participating in its meetings, providing it with regular updates and progress reports and support board members in the initiatives and tasks assigned to them by the board.
- Manage staff, determine staffing requirements, implement a performance evaluation process, and ensure staffing practices with applicable laws and regulations.
- Manage relationships and contracts with vendors and service providers.
- Ensure MIA facilities are adequately staffed with building care takers, cleaners and are following best practices in preventative maintenance and facility management.
- Establish, develop, and maintain relationships and collaborative arrangements with community, government, Muslim and non-Muslim non-profits, including mosques and service agencies, and other stakeholders and partners.
Reports to: Board of Directors
- Administrative staff
- Facility managers
- Religious services officers
- Casual and term employees
- Other staff as the need may arise
- Ability to self-direct, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Good understanding of financial practices and financial reports. Ability to create budgets and financial reports.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and conflict management skills
- Experience working with non-profit/community organizations and boards, especially those consisting of diverse voices and backgrounds.
- Experience working with the Muslim community in Canada, in a multi-ethnic and multi-madhab context.
- Commitment to the values and spiritual and ethical teachings of Islam.
- Native or near-native fluency in English. Other languages spoken by the community are highly desirable.
- Experience in fundraising and grant writing
- The successful candidate will be required to complete a child abuse registry check and a criminal record check.
A competitive salary will be offered along with paid vacation and benefits.
This position will require flexible hours and occasional evening and weekend work.
Send a current CV and professional statement to email@example.com. The subject line should say: Managing director application. The position will remain open till filled.