A Message from Election and Compliance Committee
The position of the President in the MIA Executive Council (EC) became vacant as of March 11th, 2019. According to the MIA Constitution and By Laws, ratified in June 1st, 2013; the President position is to be filled through Bi-Elections within sixty (60) days. Currently, the First Vice President is assuming the duties of the President until elections. Accordingly, bi-elections to fill the President position will be held on Sunday, May 5th, 2019 between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM at Waverley Mosque.
The Election and Compliance Commission (ECC) will be fully in charge of the election process. Here are some important details:
- Nominations for the vacant EC position (President) will be opened on Saturday, April 6th, 2019.
- Nominations will be closed on Friday, April 19th, 2019.
- All nominees must be full members in good standing as of April 1st, 2019 (MIA By-Law, Part III, Section 3.2).
- To nominate a candidate for that position, the nominators and the nominee must complete the Nomination Form and submit it signed and scanned to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline or drop it off in person at the MIA office within the office working hours.
- Upon nominations being closed, ECC will start to review the received nomination forms and during this time it is the applicant responsibility to become available over the phone, by email, and/or in-person to provide any additional information deemed necessary by ECC.
- The final list of eligible candidates meeting all the stipulated requirements will be announced on Friday, April 26th, 2019.
- The eligible candidates cannot withdraw from the elections after April 30th, 2019.
- On Sunday, May 5th, 2019 voting will take place at the Grand Mosque Gym between 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Volunteers will be available to facilitate voting.
- To vote in this election, a person has to be a full MIA member in good standing as of August 1st, 2018 (MIA By-Law, Part II, Section 1.12).
- The list of members eligible to run for election, and list of members eligible to vote will be posted at both the Hazelwood and Grand Mosque announcement boards by April 4th, 2019.
- The results of the EC bi-elections will be announced the same day of the election as soon as the results have been collected and verified. The elected EC positions will be in charge immediately after the announcement, till the end of the current EC term; December 31, 2019.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Election and Compliance Commission at email@example.com