A Message from Election and Compliance Commission – List of Eligible Candidates
Dear MIA Members,
The nominations process for the MIA Executive Council (EC) vacant positions; Second Vice President and the President were closed on Friday, October 26th, 2018. All nomination forms were reviewed as per MIA Constitution – Article VI, Section 3 and associated By-Laws and Procedures.
All the received nominees have satisfied the eligibility criteria except for the condition to “having proven good experience in volunteer work and community service through actively serving in one or more of Association committees and/or activities” (ARTICLE VI, SECTION 3). The intent of this article is to ensure that elected members of MIA-EC have the expertise and the familiarity necessary to run the organization effectively. “Proven good experience” must be established by serving, for a sufficient period, in a formal MIA appointed committee or formal MIA assigned activities. Accordingly, the following do not meet the requirements of the aforementioned article:
- Ad-hoc and random activities.
- Informal activities.
- Unverifiable activities.
- Short lived membership of an MIA committee.
- Paid services and work for MIA
The ECC have received a total of five (5) nomination forms. However only four (4) are eligible to run for the MIA-EC positions. The lists of eligible candidates are as follows:
Second Vice President
1st candidate: Br. Cheikh Moulaye (currently serving as acting 2nd Vice President)
Nominator: Br. Haitham Ghamry
Seconder: Br. Rahidul Alam Mondol
2nd Candidate: Br. Samir Hammad
Nominator: Br. Ahmed Hammad
Seconder: Br. Kareem Alkhaldi
1st Candidate: Br. Ehab Elsalakawy
Nominator: Br. Ali Hassan Khan
Seconder: Br. Muhammad Tariq Mian
2nd Candidate: Br. Idris Elbakri
Nominator: Br. Hameed Mian
Seconder: Sr. Jameela Inayatulla
The Election and Compliance Commission (ECC) will be fully in charge of the election process. Here are some important details:
- The eligible candidates cannot withdraw from the elections after November 3rd, 2018.
- On Saturday, November 10th, 2018 voting will take place at the Grand Mosque Gym between 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Volunteers will be available to facilitate voting.
- To vote in this election, a person has to be a full MIA member in good standing as of August 1st, 2018 (MIA By-Law, Part II, Section 1.12).
- The results of the EC bi-elections will be announced the same day of the election as soon as the results have been collected and verified. The elected EC positions will be in charge immediately after the announcement, till the end of the current EC term; December 31, 2019.
The ECC takes this opportunity to thank all nominees for their good will to serve our community and encourage them and all members to continue working along with the elected executives to keep MIA healthy and make it better and stronger. May Allah (SWT) bless our community.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Election and Compliance Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org