A Message from Election and Compliance Committee
Dear MIA Members,
The Election and Compliance Commission (ECC) of the MIA would like to inform you that there are two positions in the MIA Executive Council (EC) that became vacant; Second Vice President as of March 31st, 2018, and the President as of September 15th, 2018. The Second Vice President position has been temporarily filled by the EC until the elections day associated with the upcoming Annual General Body Meeting (AGM). According to the MIA Constitution and By Laws, ratified in June 1st, 2013; the President position is to be filled through Bi-Elections within sixty (60) days. Currently, the First Vice President is assuming the duties of the President until elections. Accordingly, bi-elections to fill both positions; President and Second-Vice President will be held on Saturday, November 10th, 2018 between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM at Waverley Mosque. The AGM will be called by EC for the same day. Please note that the AGM maybe postponed if Quorum is not achieved on November 10th. If the AGM is postponed, the bi-elections cannot be postponed and still will be held on Saturday, November 10th, 2018.
The Election and Compliance Commission (ECC) will be fully in charge of the election process. Here are some important details:
- Nominations for the vacant EC positions (President and Second-Vice President) will be opened on Thursday, October 11th, 2018.
- Nominations will be closed on Friday, October 26th, 2018.
- All nominees must be full members in good standing as of April 1st, 2018 (MIA By-Law, Part III, Section 3.2).
- To nominate a candidate for that position, the nominators and the nominee must complete the Nomination Form and submit it signed and scanned to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off in person at the MIA office before the deadline.
- The final list of eligible candidates meeting all the stipulated requirements will be announced on Saturday, November 3rd, 2018.
- The eligible candidates cannot withdraw from the elections after November 3rd, 2018.
- On Saturday, November 10th, 2018voting will take place at the Grand Mosque Gym between 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Volunteers will be available to facilitate voting.
- To vote in this election, a person has to be a full MIA member in good standing as of August 1st, 2018 (MIA By-Law, Part II, Section 1.12).
- The list of members eligible to run for election, and list of members eligible to vote will be posted at both the Hazelwood and Grand Mosque announcement boards by October 3rd, 2018.
- The results of the EC bi-elections will be announced the same day of the election as soon as the results have been collected and verified. The elected EC positions will be in charge immediately after the announcement, till the end of the current EC term; December 31, 2019.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Election and Compliance Commission at email@example.com
Election and Compliance Commission (ECC)